Saturday, July 25, 2009

Building Some Sand Castles?



Beautiful song by Jennifer Knapp-Faithful To Me


All the chisels I've dulled carving idols of stone

That have crumbled like sand 'neath the waves

I've recklessly built all my dreams in the sand

Just to watch them all wash away...


So true. I, like the lyrics in this song, have wasted so much time recklessly building my own dreams in the sand. Sometimes (let's be honest, most of the time) I just want what I want when I want it. So I just charge through God's perfect timing and seize whatever that may be at the moment. Or at least I try...


Thank goodness He is merciful. Thank goodness He protects me. I sometimes reach for things that may not be the best for me. Why is it human nature to want to do things on our own? What is it that keeps causing me to forget that God has a perfect plan for my life?


Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.


His loving eye.


When someone loves you, don't they want the best for you?


Yep.


Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."


So what happens when I want something that God doesn't want me to have? That sounds like a bit of a problem wouldn't ya say? Here's what Elisabeth Elliot says on the subject (by the way, I love her, she's super wise).


"He (God) wanted Adam and Eve to be happy but He didn't give them everything they wanted. He knew it would be the death of them. So they got mad and decided he didn't love them and was being stingy when he told them not to touch the fruit. How could he love them if he didn't let them have it? They put more stock in the snake's reasoning than in God's."


Where are you placing your trust? In your own limited resources/vision/knowledge or in God who has infinite amounts of resources/vision/and yes..knowledge and most importantly, knows our hearts much better than we ever will. :)

No comments: