Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lovin' Like Jesus


Last night I was getting ready for my hometeam/small group, reading through the study material and I was just NOT into it.  I did not feel excited about what I was going to share with the girls in my group.  This had never really happened to me before as a leader of a small group.  Normally, I am excited or at least determined to share the lesson that is planned.  

I read through about half of the lesson, threw it aside and barged into my roommate's room (she co-leads with me) threw my Bible on her bed and said "I CAN'T DO THIS LESSON!"  Now the difference between my roommate and I is that she is very regimented and organized and I...am not.  I think at first she was just sort of guessing that I was having a hard time sitting down and focusing so I had to explain to her that I really felt a push to do something else for the lesson (which was to happen in about 2 hours).  

We sat and brainstormed for awhile.  I kept sharing that I wanted to leave our apartment and go do something fun that would cause our group to get to know each other a lot better.  So I called my pastor and asked him if he thought it was okay to be spontaneous and forget the lesson and get everyone out to do something different. 

His words..."Yes, if that's how you feel then you need to get everyone the heck out of your apartment and go do something else."

My pastor!? Telling me NOT to present my Bible study?  

  
Yes, and he was right on.  Go with your gut....step out of the box.
Our group time ended up being AMAZING.  We went to a diner, ate some great food, and asked questions that helped us to get to know each other.

examples: 
"What is something you have done in your life that you are extremely proud of"
"What animal would you want to be and why"

A mixture of serious and silly.  Some of us really opened up...I mean REALLY opened up.  

Isn't that what a small group is all about?  

Dear children let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.  --1 John 3:18

How do you love someone more effectively?  You need to get to know that person.  It's easy to present some Bible verses and a nice study to a group of people, but how do you really reach their hearts?  Jesus did not just go around shouting out directions and rules.  Look in the Bible.  He got to know people.  He sat with them.  He loved them.

If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal 1 Cor 13:1

I believe God prompted last night's spontaneity.  I am glad that I listened because the results were truly amazing.  I was reminded how important it is to LOVE people first before trying to teach them anything.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Great post, Mandy!
It think it is easy to get caught up in "doing" and lose the reason you're doing it.
It sounds like your great idea was much needed and you guys had fun and got to know each other better. That is so important in a small group. It's not just about learning the bible but also growing closer to one another and in turn, being able to trust one another and support one another in a way no one else does.
Good job!