Monday, June 23, 2008

we did it

Ignite....this was the name given to the group of young adults at my church. We just recently had a worship service to kick things off and get everyone amped about all the events we are having this summer. Unfortunately, I was unable to be there and experience it (I was at a wedding!), but I did hear that things went well. I must admit, I was really nervous about the outcome of our efforts. It's one thing to dream something up, and it's another to actually pull it off. We started off with some great music, a great speaker, more music, and then a barbecue to finish it all off. I was informed that there were some new faces there, which is awesome.


Why, do you ask, did we need to have a "service" when there is a perfectly good service given on Sunday mornings. Except for when the speaker is talking about marriage or parenting, most of the young adults are able to apply what they hear on Sunday to their own lives. The service we held was not because we weren't being "fed" or because we didn't think Sunday measured up. The reason, at least in my mind, was to be able to connect with other people in my age bracket.


My church offers an awesome program for elementary school children (Valley Kids), services for middle and high school (Impact and Riot), and finally a service (sometimes referred to as "big church" by the kids) for the rest of us adults. My small group wanted to start something for the in between ages experienced in your twenties.


Think about it. Most of us don't exactly fit in with all of the adults. We are still trying to figure out what we want to do for the rest of our lives, who we want to marry and live with for the rest of our lives, and just how to do all the stuff our parents used to do for us like finding insurance and taking care of our finances. While it's great to get guidance and wisdom from people that have gone through these stages of life, it's nice to know there is a group of people I can relate to that are going through these things with me.


I want the young adults in this area to get serious about what is important in life. So whether they know God or not, I hope that this summer brings a lot of new and interesting people to CCV to get connected with not only other people their age, but God as well!


I am excited about the future of Ignite and the young adults at CCV.

No comments: